3 Mar 2010

Introducing WordPress.com User Accounts & Auto-Login to IntenseDebate

We are extremely excited to introduce WordPress.com user accounts and auto-login to IntenseDebate and open up the debate to more than 12 million commenters and bloggers.  Now WordPress.com users can comment on IntenseDebate-enabled websites anywhere on the Web without having to re-enter their account information.

While we’ve added Facebook Connect and Twitter Sign-In support, there are still too many steps and mouse clicks between you and posting a comment. We’re all about making commenting easier and more accessible to as many people as possible, and we think you’ll agree that this is a huge leap forward.  Commenting with IntenseDebate is now easier, faster, and simpler.

WordPress.com users post nearly 400,000 new comments every day, and now they are all automatically logged in to comment on your blog. And that’s not to mention the addition of over 20,000 new users every day!

So what does this mean for you?

• If you’re a WordPress.com user and you’re logged into your account, then you’ll automatically be logged into IntenseDebate as well.  All you have to do is type your comment and hit submit.
  • You can login with your WordPress.com account directly from the comment section and at IntenseDebate.com.
  • If you already have an IntenseDebate account then you can just keep on commenting as normal.

This means that unlike Facebook Connect and Twitter Sign-In, there are no extra clicks, and no need to remember another set of login credentials. It also means that more than 12 million WordPress.com users will be able to comment on your blog with full-fledged IntenseDebate profiles, without having to create an account or enter any details. How’s that for motivating the conversation?

Better yet, since these profiles aren’t third-party accounts, you (and all your new users) will have access to all of the awesome features that IntenseDebate is famous for: email notifications, reply-by-email, reputation scores, comment voting, comment history, Twitter integration, and more.

If you already have both IntenseDebate and WordPress.com accounts, don’t worry – we will be merging your accounts in the next phase of our integration, so keep commenting!

Commenting on your site just got a whole lot easier for millions of existing bloggers and commenters.

Welcome to the debate WordPress.com lovers! :-)

Posted by Michael Koenig in community,features,News

75 Comments

1. yes yes.. this is good!

Comment by windhamdavid — March 3, 2010 @ 10:13 pm
  2. this is good stuff. congrats.

Comment by windhamdavid — March 3, 2010 @ 10:15 pm
  3. This is awesome!

Comment by adam_herod — March 3, 2010 @ 10:32 pm
  4. I'm really excited this launched, this should really increase interaction on people's blogs.

Comment by matt — March 3, 2010 @ 11:18 pm
  5. […] WordPress.com User Accounts now auto-login to IntenseDebate blogs no matter where they’re hosted, any website in the world. Connect services like Facebook’s and Twitter’s always require at the very least a click or two, and in worst case can be a full login and several bounces to the origin site, which increases the friction of commenting and can actually decrease the number of comments you get. (Oh noes!) This is much smoother, and faster. Previously this was only available if you actually hosted on WP.com, now it’s for any website, anywhere. ¶ « PubSubHubBub […]

Pingback by IntenseDebate auto-login — Matt Mullenweg — March 3, 2010 @ 11:22 pm
  6. FInally, it's all coming together. Nice one.

Comment by scribu — March 4, 2010 @ 12:07 am
  7. Just trying it out…love it!

Comment by jessibird — March 4, 2010 @ 12:23 am
  8. You can check out your profile at http://intensedebate.com/profiles/jessibird and you can edit it at http://intensedebate.com/editprofile . Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 4, 2010 @ 12:28 am
  9. Wow. Great work everyone!

Comment by John James Jacoby — March 4, 2010 @ 1:08 am
  10. >>While we've added Facebook Connect and Twitter Sign-In support<<

I don't know what I may be missing but I don't see above on my WordPress.com blog.

Comment by arif — March 4, 2010 @ 1:22 am
  11. Sorry for the confusion, Facebook Connect and Twitter Sign-in are optional login options available through IntenseDebate.

IntenseDebate can't be installed on a WordPress.com blog. This update makes it possible for WordPress.com users to login to IntenseDebate and post comments using their WP.com profile.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 4, 2010 @ 1:30 am
  12. Is there a way to turn wp.com login off? I had to turn off login via OpenID because on my blog there is not enough space for all buttons, and so it looked really bad with one misplaced

Comment by Knapp — March 4, 2010 @ 1:44 am
  13. I'll be happy to take a look and get that fixed. Please email me at support@intensedebate.com with the subject line: WPC Login Button.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 4, 2010 @ 1:48 am
  14. What I find interesting about ID and WordPress integration is that WordPress.com could never benefit from it. You may have a good technical reasons on why ID cannot be installed on WordPress.com blogs but I don't see much value in a feature which I can't use at my own site. Thanks for the reply and clarification.

Comment by arif — March 4, 2010 @ 1:55 am
  15. Thank you for your quick reply. You've got mail. :D

Comment by Knapp — March 4, 2010 @ 1:56 am
  16. Sorry to hear that. WordPress.com auto-login is intended to make it easier for you to comment across any site in the world using IntenseDebate. This way you can use your WP.com identity to comment across ID-enabled sites.

I posted this in a comment above, but you can check out your ID profile at http://intensedebate.com/profiles/arifsali where you can see your comment history, and you can edit your profile at http://intensedebate.com/editprofile where there are loads of cool options.

Another cool feature is Reply-By-Email: you should receive an email notification that I responded to your comment, and you can reply to my comment by responding to the email.

We're with you though, we would love to offer IntenseDebate on WordPress.com! :-)

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 4, 2010 @ 2:05 am
  17. Received and responded!

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 4, 2010 @ 2:19 am
  18. Thanks for the great add-in.

Comment by tonyknuckles — March 4, 2010 @ 2:22 am
  19. […] become more Social 今天起來看到wordpress又發佈兩個新聞: Introducing WordPress.com User Accounts & Auto-Login to IntenseDebate […]

20. There are couple of things here.

ID is not implemented widely or at least I don't come across it as much as I do the Disqus and others.

ID is good looking and has many additional features. One that I just discovered here after conversing is the ability to only get the email on the replies instead of the whole thread. This is marvelous.

So I'm not sure, after much time has passed between your Automatic acquisition, the system is still not deployed on WordPress.com blogs. I remember the excitement this created when it was announced but the integration never materialized.

Comment by arif — March 4, 2010 @ 2:46 am
  21. […] solved! Check out “Intense Debate” – odds are an account has been set up for you too! Possibly related posts: […]

Pingback by Well, This Is Cool… « Constitution Club — March 4, 2010 @ 3:20 am
  22. This great news thanks for sharing. :)

Comment by T3CK — March 4, 2010 @ 4:11 am
  23. First ID comment, huh Matt? ;)

Comment by Rafael Fischmann — March 4, 2010 @ 5:08 am
  24. Wow, thanks a lot. This will be a great add-in for the Intensedebate :). WordPress users are now easier to post the comments….

Comment by Willy Saefurrahman — March 4, 2010 @ 7:00 am
  25. Wow….cool!

This will undoubtedly spur more interaction and thereafter, comments!!!

Comment by Himmat Singh — March 4, 2010 @ 10:52 am
  26. First with my WP.com account, the others were on my ID account:

Comment by matt — March 4, 2010 @ 1:49 pm
  27. Thanks for your feedback.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 4, 2010 @ 7:38 pm
  28. Wonderful news, been waiting for this, congratulations.

I notice, though, that I now see to have two profiles:

The PROFILES one is associated with my WordPress account but contains none of my ID comments or ID score.

The PEOPLE one has all my ID data but seems to have no connection to my WordPress account.

This is going to be confusing for a lot of people.

It would be good to see these profiles merged. I would like my avatar to display the WordPress badge and provide some sort of link to or indication of my WordPress presence but, also, display my IntenseDebate score.

Comment by donnacha — March 4, 2010 @ 8:08 pm
  29. Thanks, we're pumped to have this up and running. Merging profiles is the next phase. :-)

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 4, 2010 @ 8:28 pm
  30. Wow, thanks for this great add-in.
    Easy for WordPress users to post the comments.
    Great job!

Comment by ideva — March 5, 2010 @ 12:00 am
  31. Excellent. I was hoping this would be added at some point, since it only makes sense.

Comment by James Schipper — March 5, 2010 @ 1:15 am
  32. Well …good news but why is this mandatory for everybody?
    I would very much like to remove IntenseDebate and WordPress.com login buttons as my users are moms 30+ that are more confused then excited by the presence of so many features in my comment box. Also – how come you don't have bullets between the login buttons? I cannot remove them! See attached: http://twitpic.com/16q744

Thanks!

Comment by Bob — March 5, 2010 @ 12:34 pm
  33. ok. regarding my last comment, please disregard the bullets issue. i managed to fix that via css. what about the possibility to opt out from (remove) intensedebate and wordpress.com login buttons?

Comment by Bob — March 5, 2010 @ 12:56 pm
  34. This is really nice but I'm wondering if ID will ever be enabled on WordPress.com blog as the default commenting system. I can dream can't I?

Thanks for the news.

Comment by ileaneb — March 5, 2010 @ 9:43 pm
  35. Yes, please let us know about the merger when they ready, the cookies on my browser get confused when I logged to wp.com and intensedebate.com at once :(

Comment by Cahya — March 6, 2010 @ 8:39 am
  36. I want to remove login option for WordPress.com.
    Please guide me how to remove that option.

Comment by SymbianFile — March 6, 2010 @ 11:11 am
  37. Aww, and I was hoping this was gonna be the one in which is auto logged in based on your OWN WordPress users.

Good to see though :D

Comment by Snat — March 6, 2010 @ 9:22 pm
  38. Mantap! (english: AWESOME) :p

Comment by Kibot Rusak — March 8, 2010 @ 8:47 am
  39. Is there any way to remove the wordpress button…..coz this makes the comment form look untidy….at least on my blog (u need to be logged out to see this)

Comment by Himmat Singh — March 8, 2010 @ 2:29 pm
  40. Heard about this on WordPress Weekly today. Neat-O.

Comment by jamesmoore80 — March 8, 2010 @ 10:22 pm
  41. I'm having the same issue, and it looks like one other person is too. It looks like it's an IE thing (isn't it always). Firefox will shift the buttons down below the words "Comment as a Guest . . ) However, IE just bunches them up and makes at least one of the buttons inoperable.

My site is an example: TheExpeditioner.com.

Thanks Michael! Keep up the good work!

Comment by TheExpeditioner — March 9, 2010 @ 1:36 pm
  42. All you have to do now is make self hosted WP blogs integrate with ID login :D

Comment by Simon Bennett — March 9, 2010 @ 6:06 pm
  43. About dang time! The only thing that I don't like is that my "Gravatar" doesn't show up unless I reply directly through Intense Debate. When I respond through wordpress, I don't register as an IntenseDebater! What do I do?

Comment by heycheri — March 10, 2010 @ 4:42 am
  44. Hi, is there any project for Google account users can comment too? Thanks

Comment by Luciano 777 — March 10, 2010 @ 7:44 pm
  45. We're working on plans for this! No ETA yet. :-)

Comment by michael — March 10, 2010 @ 7:51 pm
  46. Thanks for letting us know you're interested. No solid plans just yet, but we share your dream. :-)

Comment by michael — March 10, 2010 @ 7:54 pm
  47. Hi Bob – sorry for the delay. I'm happy to help with this. Please email me at support@intensedebate.com and I'll take a look.

Comment by michael — March 10, 2010 @ 7:56 pm
  48. Will do. Please keep an eye on our blog and subscribe either via RSS or email (top right corner). If you logout from WP.com via IntenseDebate then we will ignore the WP.com cookie and use your IntenseDebate account instead. Let me know if you encounter any issues. Thanks for your patience (and sorry about the delayed response).

Comment by michael — March 10, 2010 @ 7:58 pm
  49. Can you please email me at support@intensedebate.com? I'll take a look and we'll get this worked out. Thanks.

Comment by michael — March 10, 2010 @ 7:59 pm
  50. Thanks for the heads-up. I think you and I have been emailing about this. I'll let you know what we find and we'll get this fixed up.

If anyone else is notices this, please send me details at support@intensedebate.com – much easier to troubleshoot via email. Thanks!

Comment by michael — March 10, 2010 @ 8:03 pm
  51. We're keeping Google Friend Connect in mind for future development, but we don't have solid plans for this at the moment. Thanks for letting us know that you're interested.

Comment by michael — March 10, 2010 @ 8:05 pm
  52. Hmm… looks like your Gravatar showed up with this comment. Are you still encountering the issue?

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 10, 2010 @ 8:07 pm
  53. Please email me at support@intensedebate.com and I'll take a look.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 10, 2010 @ 8:08 pm
  54. It shows up when I post directly onto intense debate from the website. But when I reply from my actual dashboard on wordpress, it doesn't show up at all.

Comment by heycheri — March 10, 2010 @ 9:32 pm
  55. Sweet :)

Guessing you will publish a blog post when further information is out ?

Comment by Snat — March 11, 2010 @ 12:27 pm
  56. Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking into it now and I'll have some news shortly.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 11, 2010 @ 11:05 pm
  57. If I delete my wordpress account (heycheri), will that clear up my intense debate so that I can actually sign up under an INTENSE DEBATE account as the ID username "heycheri"?? Because I don't like associating it with a wordpress that I don't even use.

Comment by Cheri — March 12, 2010 @ 3:35 am
  58. Actually, I'm going to try it now and see if that helps.

Comment by Cheri — March 12, 2010 @ 3:35 am
  59. Okay … That clearly did not work.

Comment by Cheri — March 12, 2010 @ 3:41 am
  60. Was just going to say… Unfortunately WordPress.com accounts can't be deleted through IntenseDebate.

It's easiest to troubleshoot via email. Can you please email me at support@intensedebate.com and I'll take a look? We'll get this figured out! :-)

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 12, 2010 @ 3:45 am
  61. I received your email and I'll have some news soon! Thanks. :-)

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 12, 2010 @ 6:34 am
  62. Interesting, IE seems to crash in versions 6 and 7 when I'm logged in. I think it may be connected to the auto login.

Comment by Ash Blue — March 13, 2010 @ 8:04 am
  63. Could we add facebook users as moderators ?

Comment by Amor — March 14, 2010 @ 6:46 pm
  64. Can you please send me details at support@intensedebate.com? It's easier to troubleshoot via email. Thanks.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 15, 2010 @ 7:46 pm
  65. Unfortunately you can't. Moderators have to either be IntenseDebate or WordPress.com users. Sorry.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 15, 2010 @ 7:48 pm
  66. Definitely! :-)

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 15, 2010 @ 7:53 pm
  67. Just wondering — were you able to figure out a way to remove the "Wordpress" logo next to our avatars if we do not want our IntenseDebate accounts linked with WordPress?

Comment by Cheri — March 17, 2010 @ 9:32 am
  68. You need one of those “share all” buttons so people can re-post your blog posts to whatever service they want to.

Comment by Birgitta — March 22, 2010 @ 1:48 am
  69. Hello everyone, and that kind blog owner has presented information about New Moderator Role and Comment Voting Option to provide the same benefits. Very much useful. Now I are studying, I thank you very fit.vulcanized shoes manufacturer sandals manufacturer chef shoes manufacturer safety shoes manufacturer sport shoes manufacturer boots manufacturer

Comment by TravelRanking — April 12, 2010 @ 10:18 am
  70. Hello everyone, and that kind blog owner has presented information about New Moderator Role and Comment Voting Option to provide the same benefits. Very much useful. Now I are studying, I thank you very fit.vulcanized shoes manufacturer

Comment by TravelRanking — April 12, 2010 @ 10:18 am
  71. Good job! Article was very useful! Thanks!

Comment by Thomas — May 5, 2010 @ 3:22 pm
  72. Good job! Article was very useful! Thanks!

Comment by Thomas — May 5, 2010 @ 3:22 pm
  73. yhr

Comment by Thomas — May 5, 2010 @ 3:29 pm
  74. It looks good,I have air force one shoes learn a recruit!
    Recently,I found an excellent online store, the XX are completely various, good quality and cheap price,it’s worth buying!

Comment by air force shoes — June 1, 2010 @ 3:41 am
  75. It looks good,I have air force one shoes learn a recruit!

Comment by air force shoes — June 2, 2010 @ 1:15 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.