14 May 2009

The IntenseDebate Avatar Is Dead. Long Live The Gravatar!

Gravatar logo png jpg pdf ai eps balloons glass glossyBig news! We’re migrating our avatar system over to Gravatar! We’re all part of the Automattic family and Gravatar has it down, so as the saying goes, “why recreate the wheel?” This is going to be a gradual process so don’t panic.

What is a gravatar?

A gravatar, or globally recognized avatar, is quite simply an image that follows you from site to site appearing beside your name when you do things. Avatars help identify your posts on blogs and web forums, so why not on any site?

We’ve rolled out the first steps of this process. We now check to see if you have a gravatar and if you do, we’ll automatically use it. If you are using an IntenseDebate avatar instead of your gravatar then you’ll notice a change (unless your gravatar and IntenseDebate avatar are the same!). Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Next up, you might have noticed the blue message in your IntenseDebate account prompting you to verify your email address. This is to make sure you are who you say you are. ;-) If you haven’t verified your email address yet, please go ahead and do so.

We’ll keep you posted on the next phases of this project. If you haven’t discovered Gravatar yet, check it out and create your own!

Posted by Michael Koenig in features

1. This is a good idea, well done!

Comment by deleted5507280 — May 14, 2009 @ 12:33 pm
  2. fun times.

Comment by human3rror — May 14, 2009 @ 3:05 pm
  3. Cool. Makes sense to consolidate things a bit.

Now how about

a) Fixing the WP comment syncing issues that still happen now and then

b) Creating an exporter that will allow someone switching back to plain WordPress comments to keep the comment threading.

Comment by redwall_hp — May 14, 2009 @ 11:51 pm
  4. intense debate just ties itself in with everything, very nice!

Comment by PenguinPcHelper — May 15, 2009 @ 3:27 am
  5. Thanks, Michael and Isaac and others for bringing things back. I like the new forum setups, the graphics, and all of it. I can now, once again become real on my selected forums.

Comment by JimNordblom — May 16, 2009 @ 2:13 am
  6. in your faq's section, one topic reads thus:

Can I import my comments?
    Look, we know that we're not your first and we may not be your last comment system, and we're ok with that. Our comment importers and exporters make bringing your comments with you a piece of cake, so you don't need to worry about losing a single one.

however, checking on the dashboard, the only option available is to export the comments using xml. how can we import our comments then, just in case we decide to stick with the blogger's comment system or for a possible leaning towardsother comment systems available like disqus?

the reason for this hesitation on continuing to use intensedebate is that a lot of times, some comments tend to disappear in the thread most especially if the thread is already very long.

looking forward to your postive response. thanks!

Comment by Lio Loco — May 16, 2009 @ 8:31 pm
  7. This is a HORRIBLE idea. Most of us choose different avatars for various purposes. I was not thrilled to see my photo suddenly appearing on intense debates. There should be an option for this. Actually, I'm trying to delete my intense debate account, but apparently that is not possible according to everyone on the forums.

Comment by catriley123 — May 17, 2009 @ 6:04 pm
  8. I wrote a blog post about "competition" michael and it's relation to ID:

Comment by human3rror — May 18, 2009 @ 1:48 pm
  9. Nice, but would be nice if the gravatar worked…. Im not showing any for my profile on my dashboard even though I choose and set one up.

Comment by reelseo — May 21, 2009 @ 2:15 am
  10. I just downloaded this plugin despite reading some bad reviews and im not really sure what they were talking about. Its really REALLY good and I beleive it will stimulate some conversation on our site :) thanks guys

Comment by Saskat — May 22, 2009 @ 3:03 am
  11. Thanks for the kind words! We're glad to hear it!

Comment by Michael Koenig — May 22, 2009 @ 5:08 pm
  12. We're exploring some ways to make this easier. Please email me and I'll help you out.

Comment by Michael Koenig — May 22, 2009 @ 5:09 pm
  13. Right now, on my usual forums (of which you know too well, I fear) email is not working at all. I suspect it is merely a missing activate button. But, in all seriousness my friends, it is a relief. I was getting up to 150 emails a morning, from the overnight comments. Now, I can simply peruse my own personal email again.
    Humor intended, of course. But the obvious selection you have created will help a whole lot when it all starts working again.
    I really love Intensive Debate. This is the right software for the times.

Comment by JimNordblom — May 22, 2009 @ 9:52 pm
  14. I need help w/my gravatar. I use the same profile pic at most sites so want to use it in intense debate and everywhere else. However Gravatar keeps making it HUGE and telling me I have to crop most of my face off. I've tried shrinking the image, making the image larger w/white space around it, etc…… I'm out of ideas. Please help.

Comment by infolode — May 22, 2009 @ 10:02 pm
  15. Good move :)

Comment by Ryan Carson — May 27, 2009 @ 9:13 am
  16. why can't i get past 115 points on my ID?

Comment by human3rror — June 8, 2009 @ 5:21 am
  17. Thanks for adding Gravatar support. It's much goodness.

Comment by Jauder Ho — June 9, 2009 @ 5:14 am
  18. so is the service worthwhile or not? Can somebody post a review? thank you in advance

Comment by Bodylastics — June 9, 2009 @ 6:50 am
  19. Not working for me either

Comment by Mike Olbinski — June 23, 2009 @ 8:33 pm

Comment by PAULUK — July 1, 2009 @ 1:52 pm
  21. seslisohbet seslichat sesli sohbet sesli chat

Comment by sesli — July 10, 2009 @ 4:18 am
  22. Great, but when is it updating? Gravatar will still show my old image…

Comment by Rutger — July 10, 2009 @ 2:09 pm
  23. Great work!

Comment by Claudiu Constantin — July 14, 2009 @ 7:12 am
  24. This looks great. I have switched some of my blogs from Joomla to wordpress as I had problems with the plugin. I will try this on a few joomla blog that I have to see how it works.
    online Bachelor degrees AND online Master Degree

Comment by Markweee — August 5, 2009 @ 6:07 am
  25. New question/request:
    Are comments stored in your side or our side? Would changing the timestamp of the respective comment do the trick? If so, and if the comments are on your side, we would be grateful if you guys can change the timestamp of this one comment so it will be displayed on top.
    online phd degree AND Online degrees AND online associate degrees

Comment by Markweee — August 5, 2009 @ 6:07 am
  26. In my opinion this is a great idea

my articles

Comment by Bart Newman — August 12, 2009 @ 10:01 pm
  27. yeap:)) goooood work:)

Comment by The_Emile — August 18, 2009 @ 12:25 pm
  28. Really good work. ^^

Comment by fmachs — October 1, 2009 @ 12:01 am
  29. Hi,

New here – my personal gravatar isn't the same as the pic we use for our sites logo where we have multiple writers. Is there a way to utilize this service with our site's logo without me having to change my gravatar?

Comment by theinsidestrait — November 7, 2009 @ 3:10 pm
  30. I need help for this side how to go other process so just reply me plz …..

Comment by dipen — November 9, 2009 @ 12:08 pm
  31. I checked your user account and there is no account associated with it. Can you please email me specifics at support@intensedebate.com and I'll take a look.

Comment by Michael Koenig — November 10, 2009 @ 4:59 pm
  32. […] und großartig ankündigt endlich auf die sinnlosen eigenen Avatar zu verzichten und die Synergien mit Gravatar zu […]

33. What about adding randomized Gravatars for commenters without intense debate? I would prefer to look at something other than the grey portrait :D

Comment by Aphroditi — January 21, 2010 @ 9:46 am
  34. How long does it take for the gravatar to show on intensedebate after you edit it on gravatar?

Comment by Christopher Mc — January 22, 2010 @ 9:26 pm
  35. too bad i can't get it too work. the wordpress plugin shows one gravatar, and gravatar shows another, no matter how many times I tell Intense Rebate to use it. Oh well…

Comment by Whistleblower — January 27, 2010 @ 1:20 pm
  36. excellent, now i dont need a seperate avator to my wordpres avatar

Comment by tombombadill — April 22, 2010 @ 9:49 am
  37. What about adding randomized Gravatars for commenters without intense debate? I would prefer to look at something other than the grey portrait. :-D

Comment by website design — July 8, 2010 @ 11:46 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.