5 Mar 2009

Introducing IntenseDebate Plugins: add the features you want!

We’re extremely excited to introduce you to the future of commenting – today we launch IntenseDebate Plugins!  We’re opening our doors and making our code available so you can build your own plugins!

We’re kicking it off in style by launching a few plugins of our own to demonstrate the possibilities:

polldaddy-pluginPollDaddy: We love our fellow Automattic company and you should too!  Enable our PollDaddy plugin and your readers will be able to create polls right in the comment section.  Many thanks to Eoin and Lenny (the real PollDaddy’s) for their help!

seesmic-pluginSeesmic: We’re excited to be working with the Seesmic crew to provide video comments.  Enable our Seesmic plugin and give your readers the ability to record and post video comments.

youtube-embedsYouTube: This one was developed by our very own code maestro Jon Fox (the man behind IntenseDebate).  Enabling our YouTube plugin provides your commenters with the option to insert their favorite YouTube vids.

Smileys: Hats off to Isaac and Austin on this one.  It’s all about self-expression.  Add in a ;-) and let everyone know that you’re just being sarcastic and not mean!

So all of you developers and IntenseDebate enthusiasts our there, we welcome you to flex your coding muscles to help shape
IntenseDebate to be the comment system that meets all of your needs.  For more information about writing a plugin see our Plugin Resources.

So what does this mean?
There is a brand spanking new Plugins tab in your IntenseDebate dashboard that lists the current plugins available.  To activate a plugin just select “Activate” next to the plugin when you are logged into your account.  Check out the comment section on your blog and you’ll find a plugin icon at the top right of the comment box.  To use the plugin just select the icon and you’ll be ready to roll.

For more information check out our Plugins video and enjoy the soothing voice of our esteemed colleague, Michael Pick.  We’d love it if you helped spread the word, so please grab the embed code and publish a post about our sweet new plugins!

Kudos to Jon, Isaac, Austin, MT, Michael Pick, Eoin, Lenny, and the Seesmic team for all of the help!

Get Started With IntenseDebate!

Posted by Michael Koenig in features

1. Very cool :D

Comment by Theus — March 5, 2009 @ 6:27 pm
  2. whoa, wait! AWESOME!

Comment by human3rror — March 5, 2009 @ 6:28 pm

Comment by human3rror — March 5, 2009 @ 6:28 pm
  4. […] world is a far better place today because IntenseDebate has finally announced the release their Plugins […]

5. Okay, this could be good.

This could be very good.

Comment by donnacha — March 5, 2009 @ 6:47 pm
  6. Nice idea, but for some reason, activating any of these plugins generates errors on my site and break IntenseDebate.

Comment by Jim Stitzel — March 5, 2009 @ 6:50 pm
  7. […] Blog We are pleased to announce the launch of PollDaddy polls on the IntenseDebate comment platform. IntenseDebate comments enhance and […]

8. The "post a video comment" line should be replaced by a button and the words "video comment", the small text is too easy to miss.

Impressed that Seesmic allows anonymous video comments to be left, that's a big plus because not everyone will be willing to sign up to yet another online service.

Comment by donnacha — March 5, 2009 @ 6:54 pm
  9. Neat! I especially like the Poll and Smiley ones. I've long wondered why IntenseDebate wouldn't convert my emoticons into graphics…

Comment by redwall_hp — March 5, 2009 @ 6:57 pm
  10. Thanks for the feedback. Chatting about it with the team now. :)

Comment by Michael — March 5, 2009 @ 6:59 pm
  11. ZOMG! This is exactly what this post was missing!

Comment by Michael — March 5, 2009 @ 7:00 pm
  12. I'm not seeing any plugins activated. Can you link me?

Comment by Michael — March 5, 2009 @ 7:04 pm
  13. Класс! ^_^

Comment by Baranskyi Slava — March 5, 2009 @ 7:05 pm
  14. Ah finally they are out. Way to go with overshadowing the Mashable Disqus announcment guys xD

I only hope that you didn't rush them and they are stable :)

Comment by db0 — March 5, 2009 @ 7:18 pm
  15. […] a popular WordPress comment enhancer recently acquired by Automattic (the creator of WP), just announced plugin support. It’s a nice touch to the already useful commenting system that allows threading, […]

16. Okay, this is pretty mind-blowing stuff because, this very day, I was finally washing my hands of IntenseDebate and, following their big announcement yesterday, preparing to move to Disqus.

I have read through all the plugin documentation but am unclear on a few things:

1. Will we pretty much be able to use plugins to adapt comments in the same way we use plugins to adapt comments in our own installations of WordPress? Will we be able to make the same range of changes?

2. Will this allow the holy grail we've all spent the last three months whining about: Facebook Connect integration? Big things are happening over there this week and I believe it is vital that we be able to hook into their new broadcast-oriented features.

3. If we submit customized plugins, will they become accessible to everyone via the public directory? Is there any way to submit a plugin, heavily adapted to our own needs, and use it just on our own blogs, saving everyone else the trouble of having to work out what it does?

4. How long, roughly, do you expect the plugin submission and acceptance process to take?

5. Will ID be pretty open in terms of what they take i.e. in cases where the plugin is in no way malicious or harmful, will ID reject plugin for strategic business reasons?

6. Will companies such as, say, Viddler be able to come along and offer an alternative to, say, the Seesmic plugin, or have you made exclusivity deals?

But, yeah, it looks very promising.

All we need now is a way to replicate the new "Social Media Comments" feature on Disqus and that could probably be achieved outside of IntenseDebate, using a regular WordPress plugin that hooks into the UberVu API – although, of course, it would be pretty cool if they were an integrated IntenseDebate feature :)

Comment by donnacha — March 5, 2009 @ 7:24 pm
  17. Very nice release. Congratulations.

Added a review at http://beerpla.net/2009/03/05/intensedebate-intro

Comment by Artem Russakovskii — March 5, 2009 @ 7:28 pm
  18. Congrats, that will make me think twice about leaving IntenseDebate as well. Looking into it right now.

Comment by Rafael Fischmann — March 5, 2009 @ 7:37 pm
  19. […] in case you missed it, Intense Debate just announced that their plugin system has gone live (most likely in direct response to their competitor’s major announcement). This is the kind […]

20. Unofrtunately they don't seem to work very well for me. Look at this post: http://dbzer0.com/blog/all-your-comments-are-belo

Smilies are not parsed, I'm not getting logged in and the post-reply button has stopped working

Comment by db0 — March 5, 2009 @ 7:45 pm
  21. Just responded to your GS post. We're troubleshooting a conflict with Prototype JavaScript library. It'll be fixed shortly.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 5, 2009 @ 7:58 pm
  22. Seeing as how the WordPress plugins are structured, I'm guessing the IDC guys will be quite open to them. Allowing personal javascripts to work with IDC would be a good idea though.

Comment by db0 — March 5, 2009 @ 8:02 pm
  23. […] an exciting day for all of us in the IntenseDebate community. Today we’re announcing IntenseDebate Plugins, turning IntenseDebate into a real commenting platform. We’re launching […]

Pingback by IntenseDebate Plugins! | Isaac Keyet — March 5, 2009 @ 8:42 pm
  24. Very nicely done! thanx! ^_^

Comment by Ali Amin — March 5, 2009 @ 9:00 pm
  25. Very very very good idea guys. This opens up so many possibilities and enables the community to add whatever features they can code to Intense Debate. Color me excited :):p

Comment by Bwana — March 5, 2009 @ 9:03 pm
  26. Testing. ignore.B)

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 5, 2009 @ 9:19 pm
  27. That was wicked fast :)

Comment by db0 — March 5, 2009 @ 9:31 pm
  28. Yep, that gets it done. Thanks, Michael. :)

Comment by Jim (TTL Demag0gue) — March 5, 2009 @ 9:36 pm
  29. Glad to hear it!

1.) Pretty close, but not quite yet. We're working towards this goal. Right now you can apply filters to the comment text as it's being submitted or when it's output as well as a few other filters, and then hook into a wide variety of actions. We've got quite a bit now, but this will be expanding with time and the requests of developers. The idea of plugins, though, is to open it up to developers, so there's not a lot of reason for us to cripple it.

2.) I think this could probably be done w/ the current plugin API, but if not and someone wants to develop this but needs some new actions/filters please let us know and we'll do what we can.

3.) We do review the plugins that we put in the directory. This is primarily for distribution to others though. If you want to have custom plugin code on only your blog you can by using the plugin editor (available here: http://intensedebate.com/pluginEditor )

4.) This will vary, but I'm hoping to keep it pretty low. A few days is the target, but obviously this will depend on volume, the complexity of the plugin, etc.

5.) We reserve the right to reject plugins from being added to the directory. This is primarily to prevent malicious / misleading plugins. We've opened this platform up with the goal of our community expanding our platform, so we don't plan to reject plugins arbitrarily. If we do reject the plugin, however, you can always add a plugin via the plugin editor or by adding the JS to the blog directly.

6.) These plugins were provided as examples of what can be done with the plugin API. There are no exclusive deals here and we welcome alternatives.

And yes, the last item could also theoretically be done with plugins if any of you are feeling ambitious ;-)

Comment by Jon — March 5, 2009 @ 9:43 pm

Comment by Simon Bennett — March 5, 2009 @ 9:49 pm
  31. So… how about a poll?

Comment by Michael — March 5, 2009 @ 10:23 pm
  32. […] with this development, Intense Debate positions itself to grow like a weed.  I also like that you can control which features you want activated within your commenting structures and which ones you don’t.  Not every site using […]

33. Really nice move guys. I happily take back what I've previously said about your slow rate of evolution and innovation.

Comment by J.J. Toothman — March 5, 2009 @ 11:36 pm
  34. INTENSE DEBATE FOLKS, I only have ONE THING to say:

Comment by Chris — March 6, 2009 @ 1:11 am
  35. That just made my day.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 6, 2009 @ 1:19 am
  36. You guys just made mine! Well done all! :D

Comment by Chris — March 6, 2009 @ 1:25 am
  37. oh finallt! thanks so muchy!:*<3

Comment by annant — March 6, 2009 @ 2:03 am
  38. Comment by donnacha — March 6, 2009 @ 3:02 am
  39. Very nice. CommentLuv might already be compatible.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 6, 2009 @ 3:19 am
  40. […] Introducing IntenseDebate Plugins: add the features you want. Now ID has a plugin architecture (just like WordPress) that allows you to enhance the functionality of comments. First ones out the gate are polls, Youtube, Seesmic, and of course smileys. Want to supercharge your comments?(0) « New Spring Design […]

Pingback by Awesome Comment Plugins — Matt Mullenweg — March 6, 2009 @ 10:18 am
  41. […] available already. Like instant YouTube embedding and Seesmic video commenting support. Check out the launch post, the ReadWriteWeb coverage, Techmeme coverage, and the intro video […]

42. thanks, thanks. super :)

Comment by wolkanca — March 6, 2009 @ 11:28 am
  43. new great features. illa kullan diyor bunu :)

Comment by bloggErdal — March 6, 2009 @ 11:37 am
  44. please answer :)

Comment by bloggErdal — March 6, 2009 @ 11:39 am
  45. […] ting over. Spørsmål og kommentarer kan dere imidlertid legge her allerede. Og gjerne teste ut de nye kule funksjonene. Det skal i hvertfall vi […]

Pingback by IntenseDebate på NRKbeta — March 6, 2009 @ 12:11 pm
  46. :) Smile as you comment, express via video and threaded comments! very nice. Keep it up. I took less than 5 minutes to intensedebate! thanks!

Comment by eris — March 6, 2009 @ 1:18 pm
  47. Will there be a possibility to combine intensedebate with phpBB?
    Log in one place, and the comments you make in intensedebate will also be in the phpBB-forums.

Comment by gikkogkom — March 6, 2009 @ 2:00 pm
  48. Great job! I use intensedebate on my blog and it's really cool! Congrats!

Comment by Buddha — March 6, 2009 @ 2:09 pm
  49. Very interesting move. Been following the Comments Wars from afar and think this tilts it back to you guys. The Disqus social commenting move is a bit of a re d herring. I don't think it's about aggregating comments, increasingly it's about richer, filtered commentary.

ps – when I click on the 'Posted by Michael Koenig' link it tries to send me to his profile but instead sends me to 404 error at http://is.gd/m7Zn

Comment by juzmcmuz — March 6, 2009 @ 4:42 pm
  50. […] Introducing IntenseDebate Plugins: add the features you want! « IntenseDebate – Official Blog IntenseDebate e PollDaddy, Yotube, Seesmic ve gülümsemeler eklendi. (tags: tools wordpress plugin javascript comments intensedebate) […]

Pingback by links for 2009-03-06 | Blog Wolkanca — March 6, 2009 @ 7:01 pm
  51. […] IntenseDebate has announced an interesting new feature: plugins. With their new plugin API, developers can add new functionality to any site using IntenseDebate. […]

Pingback by IntenseDebate Adds Plugin Support — March 6, 2009 @ 8:00 pm
  52. Thanks for letting us know about the pagination issue. We'll take a look.

We'll also check out some options with PollDaddy. I'll keep you posted. :)

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 6, 2009 @ 8:03 pm
  53. […] the third party commenting service which Automattic acquired back on September 23rd, 2008 has announced that they will have their own plugin […]

54. I believe that comments are a 'platform', and an incredibly rich data source. But the way they have traditionally been presented is awfully limiting. I mean, the idea that they are displayed as a chronological (or reverse) list SEEMS logical. But it's not particularly helpful. I want to see the BEST comments, the most active, the controversial ones, the ones which attracted the most interest etc. So I believe the next step is to effectively 'filter' these comments and ensure they rise to the top. This is what makes for richer discussion. I am actually working on a related concept right now and have many other ideas, so maybe there's scope for a further chat :D

Comment by juzmcmuz — March 6, 2009 @ 10:07 pm
  55. Works GREAT!

Well done Michael. I appreciate what u do. :D

Comment by Chris — March 6, 2009 @ 10:08 pm
  56. […] Introducing IntenseDebate Plugins: add the features you want! We’re extremely excited to introduce you to the future of commenting – today we launch IntenseDebate Plugins!  […] […]

Pingback by Top Posts « WordPress.com — March 7, 2009 @ 12:42 am
  57. Comment by David — March 7, 2009 @ 1:05 am
  58. It would be nice if you can add IntenseChat. Commenting and Chatting would go well with eachother and it would help build highly interactive relationships with the site visitors. If the chat allows video it would be evenmore interactive. It may be achieved through Seesmic video plugin.

Comment by eris — March 7, 2009 @ 3:14 am
  59. <div id="PDI_container1433317">

One small thing I noticed, when I am using a mouse wheel to scroll… it stops over the youtube vids and I am forced to use the scroll bar. Minor inconvenience.

btw, my polldaddy poll didnt show. also, when I edit a comment, there is no option to add a poll, smiley, etc. Only for new comments.

God, I can't wait to see what people do with this. I can remember sitting on Jon's couch talking about it a year and a half ago. Nice work and good implementation.

Comment by josh — March 7, 2009 @ 5:58 am
  60. […] ha introdotto una serie di plugin che consentono di inserire video e sondaggi nei commenti, permettendo anche a terzi di sviluppare […]

61. Maybe i missed it but is there any chance to get ID localized in different languagues?

Comment by dh3lix — March 7, 2009 @ 7:39 pm
  62. Wow…Thank you Intense Debate for doing this! This makes me borderline-euphoric!!! Although these plugins might be seemingly trivial to some, they are a big deal for me. Thanks you so much. I can finally rest, knowing that I have the best commenting system with all the features that I need. I'm going to pump your commenting system all over the web now. Already wrote an article praising Intense Debate and am about a-bomb it into cyberspace viral style. My forte of course.;)

Comment by kingstonkobain — March 8, 2009 @ 11:28 am
  63. Thanks for the smileys plugin. Let's hope for more great plugins in the future. :D

Comment by Danny Boy, FCD — March 8, 2009 @ 11:28 am
  64. I may not get it….

Once the plugin is activated on my blog, I only see 1 comment per post, instead of all of the comments. I checked it out on a couple of posts that have 9, 5, and 4 comments, and only the first comment displays. Maybe I'm doing something wrong…maybe it's a conflict with one of my many other plugins.

I even tried 'logging' in and out to make sure that you didn't need to be authenticated to see everything, which isn't what I would want anyway.

I deactivated….

Comment by Jeff R. — March 8, 2009 @ 9:03 pm
  65. I just wanna my comments imported on Intense Debate. It's taking 2 days to import about 900 comments, what's is the problem?

Comment by Vinícius Figueiredo — March 9, 2009 @ 2:18 pm
  66. What URL is this for? I checked our database and it appears that you are using our older WordPress plugin (version 1.75). Can you try using the latest version (v 2.0.18)? You can download the latest version using the following instructions:

1. Uninstall version 1.75
    2. Search the WordPress plugin directory for IntenseDebate or download it here.
    3. Install version 2.0.18 and follow the instructions. Once you've configured the plugin your import will automatically start.

That should do it.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 9, 2009 @ 6:49 pm
  67. Sorry for not clarifying. Comments that were already imported will not be reimported. Our importer runs a check and only imports comments that were missed (this might have been caused by a communication error). You won't need to go through another import once we get everything all set.

Comment by Michael Koenig — March 9, 2009 @ 7:05 pm
  68. […] IntenseDebate has announced an interesting new feature: plugins. With their new plugin API, developers can add new functionality to any site using IntenseDebate. […]

Pingback by bestwebmastertool.com — March 10, 2009 @ 8:13 am
  69. Congrats, that will make me think twice about leaving IntenseDebate as well. Looking into it right now.

Comment by canada mystery serie — March 10, 2009 @ 4:35 pm
  70. Does ID work with the CommentLuv plug-in? :S

Comment by The Harriman Team — March 11, 2009 @ 10:57 pm
  71. hi friends
    its my diamond watches site kindly visit it and post your comments here

Comment by khurram — March 14, 2009 @ 5:40 pm
  72. Excellent, I put it in my blog at blogviet.info now

Comment by Tinh — March 16, 2009 @ 11:10 am
  73. I'm really digging the new plug ins and easy integration and feel of ID. Now I need to find others.

Comment by tonyknuckles — March 16, 2009 @ 6:48 pm
  74. why is it written login in comment.. I am still not sure about the plugin but it looks good especially youtube kind :)

Comment by zaman — March 23, 2009 @ 1:07 am
  75. Michael,

I'm still using the old plugin without any problem. Any reason I should upgrade?

Comment by Simon Bennett — March 27, 2009 @ 1:34 am
  76. Hi, I am sorry to be so uninformed about IntenseDebate … very new to it … but I'm hugely hopeful I can use this on my own site someday. Big issue #1 is that currently my visitors can upload photos and I need to somehow preserve he ones that are there and continue the ability if I can migrate to ID. Anyone hear of a photo upload plugin in the words? I am a barely adequate programmer.

Comment by blakekr — April 1, 2009 @ 4:10 am
  77. We want more! Give us more more more!

Comment by Andrew S. — April 10, 2009 @ 6:25 am
  78. It would be nice if my commenters could post a pdf, .doc, or a picture in-line, even if it were hosted somewhere else. For example, post the URL of a picture on Flickr and have the picture show up in-line, or the URL of a public link from Dropbox and have the a small version of the file show up that could be clicked on to be opened up or downloaded.

Comment by Russ — April 28, 2009 @ 7:43 pm
  79. […] plugin?  Check out our Plugin Resources and documentation.  You can also check out our Plugins blog post to find out more […]

80. I have all my plugns enabled :D

Comment by Dav7 — May 1, 2009 @ 5:57 pm
  81. nice !

Comment by Pravin Indranama — May 3, 2009 @ 8:33 am
  82. nice work….

Comment by mjblogger — June 1, 2009 @ 8:13 pm
  83. whoa, wait! AWESOME!
    vury nice

Comment by صور — June 3, 2009 @ 12:27 pm
  84. I love this system more and more ..

Comment by Alexo_raver — June 3, 2009 @ 2:38 pm
  85. whoa, wait! AWESOME!

Comment by ازياء زهير مراد — June 5, 2009 @ 9:50 am
  86. Way to go! Intense Debate rocks! I have been using it for a few months now and I must say that I love it. :D I wish comment luv can be integrate soon. :D

Comment by tekkaus — June 8, 2009 @ 5:11 pm
  87. Thanks for the improvements! Been looking looking forward to including Intense Debate on my site.. what's the word on Comment Luv compatibility?

Comment by kestrachern — June 30, 2009 @ 9:09 pm
  88. How about integrating "Comment Luv"?? :|

Comment by Chris B — August 7, 2009 @ 6:00 am
  89. intense debate is awesome enough already.

Now I'm sure even more people will want to use intense debate as much as I want them to.

Comment by window cleaning — August 11, 2009 @ 4:47 am
  90. Nice work fellas

What about a top commentators widget? and will this erase old comments?

Comment by The Question Maker — September 17, 2009 @ 5:52 pm
  91. […] Learn more about our Plugins and Plugins API. […]

92. […] while you’re there like PollDaddy Polls, Seesmic video comments, Smileys, and loads more.  Learn more about our Plugins and Plugins […]

93. Cool! There are some really neat plugins. Great job!

Comment by Tanner — October 17, 2009 @ 7:22 pm
  94. […] a super-slick plugin? Check out our Plugin Resources and documentation. You can also check out our Plugins blog post for more […]

95. […] a super-slick plugin? Check out our Plugin Resources and documentation. You can also check out our Plugins blog post for more […]

96. Hi! I installed "intense debate" yesterday and it worked good for a while. But after a couple of hours it didn't work any more. Actually, now I can't see how many comments there are. I don't know what I can do to fix it. Sorry for my English. Thank you!

Comment by Marcoiris — February 19, 2010 @ 1:36 pm
  97. I have installed IntenseDebate a few hours ago and it is working very well, i love it and i will use it often

Comment by Raphilon — February 20, 2010 @ 12:58 pm
  98. Wow. Your plugins are great. Thanks for sharing them. I like smileys. I'll use them too.:D

Comment by Russian Woman — April 21, 2010 @ 7:00 pm
  99. […] a super-slick plugin? Check out our Plugin Resources and documentation. You can also check out our Plugins blog post for more […]

100. Content is very rich and reliable blog. Please update, like such a great job http://www.mydiscountjordanshoes.com/air-jordan-x… air-jordan-xv http://www.mydiscountjordanshoes.com/air-jordan-x… air-jordan-xvi

Comment by jordan — May 12, 2010 @ 1:27 am
  101. :D The smiley plugin OWNS! I would also like to see some integration between the video respnse and YouTube Plugins.

Comment by bradley — October 18, 2010 @ 12:13 pm
  102. thanks for intensedebate plugin now i am switching disquis to this thanks :)

Comment by Facebook Application — December 7, 2010 @ 7:38 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.