Bonjour! We spent last week in Quebec with our fellow Automattic colleagues for our annual company meetup, and we had an amazing time. This was the first time Jon, Isaac, Beau, and I have been in the same room, so it was a pleasure to work side-by-side and kick around some ideas together.
We also got the chance to collaborate with the rest of the Automattic crew to look at how IntenseDebate can integrate with other Automattic projects, and learn how to apply their scaling knowledge to our systems.
While some of the projects aren’t ready to be disclosed yet, here are some general details about what we’re working on (please note that these include long-term projects):
- Backend Loading Optimization: We’re really excited about this project. We are currently working on a new method for optimizing how we load comments and trackbacks. This will improve load times even as the volume of comments on your blog continues to increase, as well as correct a couple of bugs. Loading IntenseDebate will be even more seamless!
- More Sync Improvements: We had the opportunity to pick the brains of our brilliant WordPress system engineers about the inner-workings of WordPress. We will be adapting some of the code and principles they use to improve the quality of our syncing engine. This is going to be huge for our plugin and will correct those pesky sync discrepancies that have been floating around affecting comment counts and backups.
- WordPress Plugin Overhaul: The core of our WordPress plugin was written prior to joining Automattic. Since then our understanding of the WordPress codebase has drastically improved. We have now identified significant portions of the plugin code that can be simplified or optimized making it much more lightweight and perform better. The principles that we are applying in this overhaul will eventually be applied to our integrations with other platforms across the board.
- Moderation, Moderation, Moderation! Bug fixes aside, optimizing moderation is high priority. The main moderation project that we’re currently working on is reworking your moderation page. We will be minimizing the time you spend moderating comments and filtering spam, and simplifying your user experience.
- Support Documentation and Forums: We’re beefing-up our FAQ and support resources for end users, publishers and developers. This will help everyone to find the answers they’re looking for. More info to come on this one soon.
It’s an exciting time here at IntenseDebate! We’re looking forward to pushing out loads of new code, and we will be depending on you for your feedback. Keep an eye right here on our blog for the latest news.