10 Nov 2009

WordPress Plugin v2.5, Hot Off The Press!

It’s been a while now (almost 3 months!) since the last update to our WordPress plugin, and a lot has been going on here at IntenseDebate HQ since then. We’ve been working on our end to improve how the plugin interacts with our servers, and now we’re ready to release a new version which updates how it operates as well. Here are some of the new and improved bits in this version:

• Added a bunch of new API functions to enable better remote queue management (for syncing): get comment counts, get approved comment counts, get a copy of your sync queue, manage individual operations, lock queue temporarily
  • Improved handling of duplicate comments
  • Improved syncing on comment statuses
  • Fixed a bug with closing comments on a Post/Page
  • Added partial support for the Trash feature coming in WordPress 2.9*
  • Added functionality to allow us to re-import a single Post to help fix up any sync problems (more efficient than re-importing your entire site)
  • Lots of small improvements and fixes to the way the sync queue operates to avoid overloading your site (and ours) and to increase the success of requests.

* We’re going to be releasing an update in the near future, once we sort out a few remaining issues with the Trash functionality. When you upgrade to WordPress 2.9 (once it’s released!) you’ll also want to upgrade to that new version.

This version of the plugin has gone through a load of testing on WordPress versions 2.5, right up to the current “trunk” and WordPressMU version 2.6 to the current release ( We’d like to note that in the next versions, we’re going to drop support for versions of WordPress below 2.7, so if for some reason you’re running an old version of WordPress, we’d strongly recommend that you upgrade!

If you are already using IntenseDebate on your WordPress blog then you should see a plugin update notification in your admin dashboard soon. If you haven’t tried us out yet, then now is the perfect time, with our best plugin release to date! You can search for the plugin (“IntenseDebate Comments”) under Plugins > Add New, or download it directly from the WordPress Plugin Directory.

Posted by Beau Lebens in WordPress Plugin

1. And once I feel a little regret for choosing Blogger as my platform. =/

Comment by Ron_Bailey — November 11, 2009 @ 1:53 am
  2. Cannot wait to try this!

Comment by Chris — November 11, 2009 @ 2:02 am
  3. Good one, guys, congrats! I hope this update is nice and smooth for everyone. :)

Comment by Rafael Fischmann — November 11, 2009 @ 2:19 am
  4. Why it takes such a long time to log in. i am unable to log in.

Comment by Sasang — November 11, 2009 @ 4:35 am
  5. Congrats guys! I was hoping this release would fix some of my chronic syncing issues, but I'm still hitting my same bug the Most Popular Posts widget on offbeatmama.com. I emailed support@intensedebate with an update to support ticket #377355.

Comment by OffbeatAriel — November 11, 2009 @ 6:45 am
  6. Thanks for the update, guys. ^_^

Comment by Chris — November 11, 2009 @ 12:31 pm
  7. I think i will hold back and wait for WordPress 2.9 before i try and re-install Intense Debate. I had major problems when i last tried to install on my blog.

Comment by BillMasson — November 11, 2009 @ 4:24 pm
  8. […] This would have been even more awesome back when I had more than two comments per post. Let’s say Facebook had been open to the world instead of only to Harvard students when I started blogging and there had been such a thing as Twitter. The places my readers and I could have gone together. […]

9. Have you stopped supporting Intense Debate on Typepad? I noticed typepad no longer shows up in your tag cloud. Intense Debate has dispappeared from my blog even though itis still installed.

Comment by WKTV — November 11, 2009 @ 8:56 pm
  10. Is Intense Debate avaiable at WordPress.com or only at WordPress.org?

Comment by WKTV — November 11, 2009 @ 9:09 pm
  11. Thank you for this upgrade. I have already seen the improvements. I had trouble with comments not being approved in WordPress although approved in Intensedebate; to make a long story short, they are now being approved immediately once I log into WordPress and approve them once instead of several times and sometimes not approved at all. Thanks guys. Definitely not switching to Disqu now as I was about to do this weekend.

Comment by Tate Nanje — November 12, 2009 @ 1:36 pm
  12. Does anyone know if the "insert picture" feature has been removed from the intense debate comments. I have it checked but it does not show up on the comment bar.
    My recent post RV Parks In Florida

Comment by pgnevets — November 12, 2009 @ 1:53 pm
  13. I have two issues that really need fixing.

1) Long comments don't work. It specially bad in my website since its using Unicode. In IE comments cant be longer than 2 lines! In chrome and Firefox its about 4-5 lines. Comments are what made the website popular, and thats why I moved to ID. Comment quality has been severely hit since I moved to ID. It's been a long time since you said you were working on this. Should I uninstall ID or it's coming soon? Please address this.

2) Comment paging needs to be an option I can control. I have 4-5 pages of comments. Users are hating the paging. I want to remove it, or increase the number of comments per page.

If these two were fixed, all I would have to say for ID would be love songs!

But please, address this ASAP.

Comment by Mysansar — November 13, 2009 @ 5:37 pm
  14. Wow, I read support for WPMU, is support for Buddypress coming anytime ?

Comment by @josemv — November 17, 2009 @ 2:47 pm
  15. nice, but the problem with the comments_number tag is still there ( http://wordpress.org/support/topic/291613 ) and we can not use the plugin until fix this.

anyone know how to hack this issue?

Comment by logolicia — November 23, 2009 @ 2:45 pm
  16. I've upgraded and when sbd wants to post a comment » "There has been a connection error. The connection has timed out."

Comment by nizejpodpisany — November 27, 2009 @ 9:31 pm
  17. […] excited to welcome Scott Beale and the Laughing Squid blog to IntenseDebate. Scott installed our WordPress plugin over the weekend, and we’re excited to have him and his readers join our […]

18. Using Paged comments solved the issue/error for me.

Comment by iLikeMyiPhone — December 5, 2009 @ 9:48 pm
  19. Nice, importing my comments right now :) hope that it is supposed to take long and not hanging, got quickly to 16% and then just site there. Patience I guess.

Comment by Phillip Gibb — December 17, 2009 @ 6:51 am
  20. yayy, all the comments are imported :)

Comment by Phillip Gibb — December 18, 2009 @ 6:24 am
  21. […] dashboard.  It’s been a while since we released a new version of our WordPress plugin (over 2 months actually).  That’s because we’ve been pushing-out all the new features and code on our […]

22. hello, I have a reader who emailed me about an issue with ID timing out when trying to leave a comment. She said she logged in through wordpress and tried commenting as a guest too but no luck. I'm 95% sure she was trying to comment on the url below, but I'm waiting to here back from her on that.

I suggested she make sure she enabled 3rd party cookies. Any other possible issues I can pass on?

Comment by Carlos Velez — March 10, 2010 @ 11:36 am
  23. oops, I forgot to subscribe to replies…please respond to this comment…thanks!

Comment by Carlos Velez — March 10, 2010 @ 11:38 am